Live and work in Mauritius

The country welcomes thousands of tourists each year. If some of them squeeze every possible moment out of their trip, others keep it going longer. To meet their demand, the Mauritian authorities have set up several structures including real estate programs such as the Property Development Scheme (PDS). If you want to live or work in Mauritius, the following information will be useful.

The Mauritian authorities have put in place some shortcuts for obtaining a Permanent Residence Permit. These are real estate programs under the Integrated Resort Scheme (IRS), Real Estate Scheme (RES) and Property Development Scheme (PDS). Under these schemes, a foreigner can acquire a property and enjoy some exclusive benefits including eligibility for a Permanent Residence Permit. The amount of investment must be greater than USD 375 000.

Mauritian Permanent Residence Permit

The Permanent Residence Permit can be granted to foreigners if they meet the conditions below. The validity of this permit is up to 10 years.

  • Investor: a minimum turnover of MUR 45 million (approx. EUR 1.1 million) accumulated over 3 years is mandatory. The investor has to hold a valid Occupation Permit as well.
  • An independent contractor: contractor who holds an Occupation Permit must achieve a minimum annual turnover of MUR 3 million (approx. EUR 73 000) for three consecutive years to be eligible to a Mauritian Permanent Residence Permit.
  • An employee having a valid Occupation or Work Permit with a basic monthly salary exceeding MUR 150 000 (approx. EUR 3 650).
  • Retirees: A non-citizen aged over 50 who wants to settle in Mauritius for retirement can apply for a Permanent Residence Permit if he has held a Residence Permit for three years. The retiree must transfer USD 40 000 (approx. EUR 32 600) annually in a local Mauritian bank account, the equivalent of approximately USD 3 300 (approx. EUR 2 700) monthly. Furthermore, a retired non-citizen can also apply for a Residence Permit which is renewable every 3 years and will have to transfer at least USD 2 500 (approx. EUR 2 040) monthly or USD 30 000 (approx. EUR 24 500) annually.